Audience and concerts
- I would like to have a concert without any applause and leave the concert hall in the silence that follows the music, which is not a silence but feels like that. Perhaps that is what the audience would willingly do if they did not want to be well-behaved.
- Once a gentleman was whistling the tune during my concert (very softly, but I could hear it). Between pieces I got up and said, whistles only afterwards, thank you.
- There are pianists who ensure their own hands; I preferred to ensure the listeners’ ears.
- Sometimes I think I stand on the stage because I am too tall to be in the audience.
The piano and the music
- Before a difficult piece: To say that it is difficult would be a boast; to say that it is easy would be a boast… So better to just be silent and play.
- From the black and white keyboard, many colors are brought out; but it is also wrong to say that colors are brought out because music cannot be classified according to something material. In fact, color still describes a part of an object and therefore refers to a reality, while music must express intangible things, feelings. Air is colorless, you cannot touch it but you can feel it. Music shows the invisible.
- Music, compared to the other Arts, is the strongest emotional experimentation